On Friday night, Jeff and I defeated our broken futon in battle.
Our futon frame was all in one piece when we last saw it in Illinois. It was loaded into the moving truck and shipped off to who-knows-where for storage. But apparently, when it got to who-knows-where, it was taken apart with little care, resulting in a cracked beam and a broken off bolt.
Jeff glued the cracked beam back together, but we couldn't get the broken off bolt out of the hole. Fortunately, the cracked beam was the one with the broken bolt in it, so we just decided to replace that beam. We went to Home Depot and bought a 2x4, and had them cut it to the right length. We also bought some 4" wood screws, because we had no way of drilling the holes and installing bolts like the original. On Friday night, we reconstructed the futon frame without any major injuries to ourselves! We put the new 2x4 in the back, so you can't see it. The futon frame is stable, but just to make sure we lounged around on it a lot.
Next project: rearranging everything in the downstairs "den." We're making it into a gaming room, where we will have our TV, stereo, futon, easy chair, bookshelves, computers, a table, and chairs.