Thursday, April 06, 2006

Fun with Dad and Marvis

Dad and Marvis came for a visit this past weekend. We had a lot of fun together.

They arrived on Saturday at about 1 p.m. Of course the first thing we did was the obligatory new house tour. Then I took them to the Mediterranean takeout place to get us some lunch. The guy at the Mediterranean place, after learning that they were my parents, gave them each a free dessert to go along with their meal.

After we ate our lunch, we went to an enormous used bookstore in Knoxville, where Dad found a book on European gardens (as it turns out, he hasn't seen all of them yet!), Marvis found some reading, and Jeff found some books of riddles and brain teasers. I guess I'm the only one who came out of there empty-handed!

That evening, Jeff cooked his delicious Jambalaya (always a big hit wherever he makes it and with whomever he makes it for) and we watched the basketball games on TV. We also had ice cream for dessert.

I had mentioned that I wanted to plant some lavender, and Dad and Marvis were thoughtful enough to bring some lavender plants, along with some rosemary and thyme plants. Then, they planted them for me. So I got my lavender scent garden without having to actually do any work! (I think maybe next time I'll mention to them that I want a million dollars, just in case.)

They had to leave on Sunday morning, because they were in transit to Florida to visit Marvis' sister and mother. I made some blueberry pancakes for them. It turned out that I had gotten out more blueberries than were needed, so on the last pancake, Dad used up all the blueberries. It was more blueberry than pancake. He chose to eat it, and I asked him how he liked his blueberry with a little pancake.

We were sad to see them go, and said "We'll have to do this again." "How about next weekend, when we're on our way back?" they suggested. And so we agreed. We're expecting them back on Saturday night.

No comments: