Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!

Hope you're all having a great time this weekend. We spent most of the weekend with visitors -- my aunt and uncle from Urbana and their daughter. My cousin, their son, was in a rowing event that was held here in town, thus prompting them to finally make the trip down here nearly four years after we moved away.

On Friday afternoon, they got a fantastic tour of my workplace. I tagged along and saw a lot of stuff I hadn't known anything about before. After the official tour I took them into the machine room to touch the big supercomputer, up close and personal. (Don't worry, gubmint auditors, they touched only the cabinets!)

After the race on Saturday morning, we headed for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, where we saw Elkmont and then took them up on Clingman's Dome. We returned home and had pizza out on the deck with my rowing cousin and his friend -- in the dark. But it was kind of like a candlelight dinner.

On Sunday morning, I fed them the obligatory pancake breakfast before they left to see the final race. They left from there for home, stopping at my Dad and Marvis' house for a break.

It was really good to see them. The thing I miss the most about Illinois is living 8 blocks away from them. Hopefully Tennessee is no longer quite so far to them, and they'll come again sooner!

No comments: