Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I HAVE A JOB OFFER!!!!

As per the subject line.

I just got a phone call from my host at Oak Ridge, and he said I should be receiving a letter in the mail next week with the offer of a postdoctoral position.

I can't believe it.

I am so excited!

That was some fast turnaround time. I was there interviewing a week ago today.

I'm still going to give my all to my upcoming interviews, though. It would be nice to generate more offers and use them as leverage against this one.

I don't think that IBM will be able to get their acts together in time to compete with this. Assuming, of course, that they are interested in offering me a position in the first place.

I AM SO HAPPY!!!!

4 comments:

Susie said...

Yay!! Congratulations! I'm keeping my fingers crossed still for IBM... ;) It'd be super fun to have you nearby!

Laura said...

That's my awesome sister! Oh yeah. (Will you have to tell Oak Ridge yea or nay before IBM can offer you anything, is that what you mean by them not getting their acts together in time?)

Anonymous said...

An offer in the hand is worth two in the bush. If IBM can't make an offer (because they haven't interviewed everyone they want to, for example) before Oak Ridge needs to hear back, then she either has to take Oak Ridge, or take a big risk. If we had turned down UBC in hopes that Penn would get its act together, we'd still be waiting (or we'd be in yet a third place, possibly not as good as UBC)(or possibly better -- it's a bit of a crap shoot what's going to be available when).

Keep this in mind, Laura, when you're up for jobs youself.

Also, Oak Ridge is a postdoc, so she's going to be doing this again in 2-4 years if she goes there. She can always try IBM again if the timing doesn't work out this time around.

Rebecca said...

What she said.

I will probably have to accept or decline Oak Ridge before IBM can make an offer, unless they come through faster than I think they will. They've finished interviewing everyone by now, I believe, but the way my host there was talking, he wouldn't be able to make an offer to anybody until sometime in August.

I think I am happy enough about Oak Ridge, that unless they offer me a really measly salary and are unwilling to raise it, I would accept. I really liked the people I'd be working with there, and I felt really comfortable. Also, it's not a weapons lab (like Los Alamos next week) so that's an ethical dilemma I won't have to worry about.

Another appealing thing is that my host said that basically they spend the duration of your postdoc grooming you to become a permanent staff member. Unless you do really badly, you should be able to stay on.