Monday, July 25, 2005

Happy Anniversary to Us!

Seven years ago today, I dressed in a majorly hot, floor-length dress with a hoopskirt, and promised, in front of hundreds of people, to spend the rest of my life with a particular man. Seven years later, here we are, still together!

I don't remember that much about that day, although people tell me it was a lovely wedding. The better half and I have always been eccentric, so it wasn't your typical wedding. We always liked medieval stuff, so we dressed in pseudo-historical garb: I wore a purple and white dress, and he wore a purple tunic with black pants and knee-high boots. We held the wedding at the Loudoun House in my hometown of Lexington, Kentucky. It was formerly the mansion of an eccentric millionaire, who built himself a gothic-revival palace, and is now the home of the Lexington Art League (you can see a picture of it on their web page).

Before and after the ceremony, we had a carnival going on. Activities included a dunking booth, a bouncy castle for the children, and snow cones. The ceremony was held in the courtyard, with the hot sun beating down. We had our siblings speak at the wedding: mine, at the beginning, spoke about "love" and "family," and his sister and brother spoke about "growth" and "the future." In the middle, we performed our vows.

So much has happened in those seven years. Seven years ago, I certainly didn't picture myself being quite where I am today, physically or emotionally. We have endured some tough times together, and come out of it closer and stronger. I've never been happier, and I think he feels the same way. I'm looking forward to many more happy years together.

1 comment:

Laura said...

YAY!! You guys ROCK!