Sunday, June 04, 2006

Adventures in Tooth Brushing

I recently bought a new electric toothbrush. The last time I went to the dentist, they guilted me about all the plaque on my teeth, linking gingivitis and premature birth/low birth weight. So they told me to get a super duper industrial-strength electric toothbrush, an Oral-B Braun. I shelled out the hundred bucks for it, trying not to think too hard about the cost of the thing. On the bright side, it has removable brush heads, meaning that Jeff can use it too, so it's only like fifty bucks each.

But it is pretty cool. The sensation on your teeth is a lot like the feeling when they brush your teeth at the dentist's office. It gets them really clean. It has a timer on it, too. Apparently you're supposed to brush each quadrant of your teeth ({left/right} {upper/lower}) for thirty seconds. So it stutters every thirty seconds, at which point you're supposed to go on to the next quadrant.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it makes me drool more than ever. I produce more saliva than anyone any dentist I've been to has ever seen, but this thing stimulates my saliva production even more and by the end of the two minutes I've drooled all over the toothbrush, my chin, and my shirt. It's kind of embarrassing. But I guess it's worth it to get my teeth so clean!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Maybe you and Vinnie can get some matching bibs....