Friday, August 04, 2006

At Arm's Length

Update about my left elbow and the shot I received on Tuesday:

I've been icing it down every night, just like the doctor told me to. I'm supposed to ice it down every night for at least ten nights. I also need to find my counterforce brace and wrist brace and wear them during the day when I'm using my left arm.

On Wednesday and Thursday, I had a tough time bending my elbow more than 90 degrees, which made life rather interesting. For example, I needed help fastening my bra. Doing my own hair was challenging too, so I had two really bad hair days. Another thing was that I couldn't move my arm fluidly enough to eat, so I had to eat completely right-handed.

Today it was less stiff but still not great. But I was able to get dressed on my own and I didn't look like I'd used a five-year-old as a hairdresser. I was even able to write a little bit with my left hand! So it is definitely getting better.

Still, I'm trying to take it easy with the left hand, because the shot won't last forever. I'm definitely going to need that elbow for much more important things, such as holding my baby, in roughly 60 days. So I'm still trying to eat right-handed and do as many things as I can without using my left hand.

No comments: