Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sadness for Virginia Tech

I am still stunned by the news of Monday's horrible shooting massacre over at Virginia Tech. I've never been to Blacksburg, although I know a few alumni and I know a couple of faculty over there too. But I don't need any tangible connection to feel so sad for all the people whose lives were so devastated by the work of that gunman.

As a mother, I can't imagine learning that my child died so suddenly, or even worse, that my child was the one who had perpetrated all those deaths. As a daughter, I can't imagine the devastation that the children of murdered mothers or fathers must be feeling right now. As a person experienced with mental illness, I can only guess how the gunman must have felt to drive him to commit such a horrible act. I wonder what would have helped him.

I feel very sad for all those whose lives will never be the same.

No comments: