Monday, November 05, 2007

I'm #1!

The Google Rank meme has been going around the blogs I read, most recently at Lab Cat's, but also at Thus Spake Zuska.

From the original at World’s Fair: The exceptional “I rank number 1 on Google”:

I’d like to suggest a meme, where the premise is that you will attempt to find 5 statements, which if you were to type into Google (preferably Google.com, but we’ll take the other country specific ones if need be), you’ll find that you are returned with your blog as the number one hit…

To make it easier, we’ll let you use a search statement enclosed in quotations - this is just to increase your chances of turning up as number one, but if you happen to have a website with the awesome traffic to command the same statement without quotations, then flaunt it baby! Of course, once you find your 5 statements, pass the meme on to others.

I found several statements for which this site is number one on Google.
  1. adventures in applied math -- apparently there's also a book by (almost) the same title, but I beat it hands down.
  2. cranberry bread secret -- my recipe for cranberry bread is very popular, and you can find it on the first page for best cranberry bread, but you have to add the word secret to boost my recipe up to number one.
  3. pareto-optimal healthcare -- it has to have the hyphen in order for my entry on Pareto-Optimal Healthcare to show up as number one.
  4. ask an applied mathematician -- I knew I would get that one!
  5. "sombrero-shaped cake" -- the first one I've listed that needs quotes. My sombrero cake is a very popular entry. Unfortunately, that search does not lead to the entry where I show how I made the cake.
  6. math pregnancy eye -- (because adventures in applied math was too easy) I get a lot of hits to my entry on math and pregnancy from people who want to know the eye color of their future child.
What searches show your blog as the first hit?

1 comment:

Lab Cat said...

Great list. Mine came first with Lab Cat but I decided not to include that as it seemed too obvious.