Friday, June 13, 2008

Super-Deluxe Supercomputing Course

Since I came home, I've been trying to catch up with all the work I didn't do last week while on business travel and then on vacation. I have mostly caught up, I believe.

On Monday, I am giving a super-deluxe course in supercomputing. Now that I work for the supercomputing center, I have more resources with which to do this. A colleague of mine is giving the beginner's course, which will be a lot like the supercomputing course I have already presented on this blog, and I will be giving an advanced course, which begins with parallelization concepts and the six basic functions of MPI, and goes on to cover more advanced MPI concepts and OpenMP. (Maybe this is good blog fodder for the future.)

We have more than sixty registrants between the two of us, mostly because we were able to advertise it better. In addition to the opportunity to hear the dulcet tones of either my voice or my colleague's voice all day, I got one Very Important Person to give a keynote address and another Important Person to speak during the (free) lunch.

Also, my colleague and I will both be immortalized on film, and our critically-acclaimed performances will then be posted on the web. I joked to our website maintainer that our web servers would crash because of the high traffic clamoring to see my Oscar-caliber performance. He offered to add some extra dedicated servers just in case. It's good to have like-minded colleagues like that.

All joking aside, I think it's going to be a lot of fun for me and my colleague, and it's going to be a great experience for the students. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

ScienceGirl said...

Cool! What's your target audience? If you get a chance, I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have on leading the hand-on portions in courses like that.