Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Diversity Tax

There is a tax that I pay for being a woman in computational science. Compared to my (majority) male colleagues, I am disproportionately called upon to do outreach activities and participate in photo shoots. So I can relate to what Female Science Professor is talking about when she seeks "diversity help." Although I've never been explicitly asked to do something for the sake of diversity, it has always been implicit in the invitation.

Many of my fellow "diverse" colleagues (and this group includes not just women, but African-American, Hispanic, and Native American men as well) resent this tax upon their time. I can see where they're coming from. After all, while I'm out talking to middle schoolers, all the dudez are actually getting some work done. It's true, we have to do these types of outreach activities on a volunteer basis -- we get no credit at work for helping to mold the minds of the next generation. Management loves that we do it, as long as it doesn't interfere with the day job.

I think this is a shame. And when I am in management, I will work to change that attitude and actually provide some concrete means of crediting those who go out and make a difference in the community.

In the meantime, though, I see the need for those of us who are not stereotypical scientists to do outreach. I don't let it take over my life, but I do enjoy speaking at middle schools and giving machine room tours to young people, especially girls. It is every citizen's duty to give something back to society, and I'm glad that I can contribute by being a role model for the next generation of scientists, and help make science that much more inviting to those who don't fit the stereotypes.

8 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

You always have such a good attitude. This post is very timely for me, as I was regretting volunteering for a more-time-consuming-than-I-expected Girls in Science thing. I'll try to be more positive about it now.

Madeleine said...

My husband is a racial minority in a university science department. He also gets to pay this "tax" but he does get a little bit of credit for it, because he gets to count it toward the "service" component of his annual evaluation. And he enjoys giving talks to high school students, except for the time lost to the rest of his job.

If you aren't getting enough gratitude elsewhere, I'll add mine: Thank you! for making the effort and for showing the kids that you enjoy your work.

Rebecca said...

EcoGeoFemme, thanks for the compliment. I try to think positively, because it beats the alternative! :)

Madeleine, I think universities give more credit for outreach stuff than do national laboratories. But, to his credit, my boss (who is made entirely of elemental awesome!) does give me some credit for my outreach work, because we are not in a pure research organization so our "mission" is a little more nebulous than it is for the folks in the group in which I was a postdoc.

Amy K said...

If you do enough of these kind of outreach talks, and get very good at it, you can become a very popular and sought after speaker and get big bucks in honoraria. (Big bucks by academic standards, anyway...)

Rebecca said...

Amy K, I never thought of that. Good idea! :)

ScienceGirl said...

I am still trying to figure out a way to volunteer without oversubscribing myself. I know it is important, but I knew I had too much on my plate when I had to make arrangements for volunteer projects just so I can go on maternity leave!

Tutoring Services said...

It is a tricky task to strike a balance between volunteering and taking time for other core activities. But as they say where there is a will, there’s a way!

Become a Teacher said...

To echo the other statements, you really do have a very positive attitude about it, and that is to be commended. I often wonder about how this extra demand is placed on minorities. Some may wish to be celebrated as trailblazers and encourage others to enter the field, but I'm sure some would just prefer we get to the point where no one notices the differences. Thanks for the thoughtful post.