Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Adventures in Conferences

Last night the poster session went really well. People attended, bribed by the prospects of free food, and, of course, of talking to me about my poster. I met the guy who's going to be my host when I interview at IBM, and one of my classmates' undergraduate advisor, and someone who knew somebody on my committee. The optimization world is small, it seems.

The talks were interesting, although some were less interesting and made it difficult to stay awake. Although I feel adjusted to this time zone, I still get kind of sleepy, especially in the mornings when I would be going to sleep back home.

Tonight we are having dinner at the Stockholm City Hall, where they present the Nobel prizes every year. Although I don't think the King of Sweden will be showing up, this is as close as I'll ever get to the Nobel Prize (there is no Nobel Prize in Math or Computer Science) so I'd better make the most of it.

No comments: