Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Swell Week

Haha just a little pun there in the title of this post! I've been swelling a lot lately. I've taken to wearing shoes that enclose my feet so my feet don't swell so badly, but all that ends up doing is making me have really swollen ankles instead of really swollen feet. On Saturday I spent most of the day with my feet in water, and it felt pretty good, although it did little to take down the swelling.

I've been finishing up the sewing that Laura and I were doing for the nursery. This week I finished up the curtains and the crib dust ruffle. I complained to Marvis about being unable to iron for very long, because the standing was making my ankles swell. Well, suggested my brilliant bonus mom, why don't you lower the ironing board to sitting level? I don't know why I didn't think of that. Anyhow I did that and was able to do more sewing at a time.

Then, my sewing machine started squeaking really badly. It was so loud it was giving me a headache. So I bought some oil for it, and proceeded to oil everywhere, but it was still squeaking. Finally, Jeff helped me turn it upside down and oil underneath it, and fortunately, that's where the squeak was coming from, so after that I was able to sew without suffering.

As for work, I've been trying to finish up some important stuff so that I don't have to worry about getting it done before the baby is born. In particular, I've been trying to get this code running on our super-duper computer. So far, I don't yet have it running, and I'm not quite sure what's going on. But I am getting closer to figuring out the problem and assuming he doesn't come too early, I should have it done before I have to go.

Speaking of the baby, I guess most everybody knows, we've decided to name him Vincent David: Vincent because we like the name, and David after my beloved cousin who died a couple of years ago. We plan to call him by a diminuative of Vincent, but I have a question to pose to all my vast readership. How should we spell it: Vinnie or Vinny? There are potential advantages to both spellings, so I can't decide. Most people seem to be spelling it Vinnie, which is fine. But spelling it with a "y" means that it has one fewer letter, making it easier to type and possibly to write for those of us who are handwriting challenged. On the other hand, writing "ie" might be easier than writing "y." But I guess this is something that doesn't really matter that much anyhow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The spelling you're looking for is Vince.

Laura said...

I like "Vinni," which has a cool "Milli Vanilli" feel to it.

:-)

Or you could do "Vinnee." I'm just sayin'.

I think I would lean towards Vinny, because it has less resemblance to Winnie the Pooh. But y'all can do just whatever you want, I don't really care!

(Maybe you could ask him after he's born. Show him both words and see which one makes him cry.)

Anonymous said...

I do like Vincent David for a name! You have good taste. I tend to think of Y endings as being more masculine than IE endings. I don't have a good reason for that though.

Ginger said...

I like the "y" ending for boy's name.

Anonymous said...

You need to put your feet up more; and, if your're eating salt, you should cut that out as much as possible for the duration. I'm sure your doctor has told you that already, but thought I'd throw it in, anyway.