Friday, January 26, 2007

Car Thoughts

When we first moved to Illinois, I remember being intrigued by all the personalized license plates. Easily one out of every ten plates was an expression of the driver's personality. I always wondered why so many people there chose to invest in vanity plates. I'm sure that the fact that it was only twenty dollars more than the regular $78 license fee was a factor.

Here in Tennessee, I see very few personalized license plates. Perhaps this is because a twenty dollar premium would nearly double the price of your plates. Instead it seems that many people here use their rear windshields to memorialize dead loved ones. I've seen several memorials to children whose lives were tragically shortened, perhaps by illness or even a drunk driver. Until I moved here I had never seen such a thing. Is this a local phenomenon?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, exactly? They put someone's name on their window? Or a sticker? Or a religious symbol? Or what? (I'm guessing this is local!)

Rebecca said...

Rach, they have some text, like "In Memory of Betty Sue Smith, 1981-1997" and then maybe a cross. The words and cross are stuck onto an otherwise clear window.

Anonymous said...

Here in KY, people memorialize the dead on t-shirts. It seems like everyday I see somebody wearing a shirt that reads "In loving memory of....(fill in the blank) I can understand remembering a dead loved one, but advertising it on a tshirt seems strange to me. I never saw that in Illinois.

jo(e) said...

Here in the northeast, I've never seen memorials on windshields or on t-shirts ....

Anonymous said...

In Indiana, I have seen the rear windshield memorials. Which probably means that Indiana, tragically, is not that different from Tennesee...