Thursday, September 13, 2007

Last Day of Work

Today was my last day as a postdoc. (Tomorrow is my Friday off.)

I had my exit interview at 8 a.m. Unfortunately, I had to fill out a few forms for that. But I got through them, it just took twice as long as it should have.

In the morning, I tried to figure out what the heck was wrong with my program. It seems to work except when a processor tries to send a message to itself. I read on the internet (what did we do before Google!) that I needed to create buffers and attach them to MPI, but I tried this and was unsuccessful.

I also gave my boss a card. It was pretty cute: on the front, it said "You're the world's greatest boss" and inside it said, "This is just one of many things we learned while surfing the internet on company time." I also wrote a little personal note to him on it. He was touched that I made the effort to write a note. I told him he was worth it!

At lunchtime, my usual lunch group took me out to lunch at this very nice restaurant that Jeff and I had gone to on our anniversary. The food was delicious. I had roasted pork loin and terragon carrots, which were to die for.

In the afternoon I continued to try different things on my crazy program, but to no avail. I had hoped to solve this problem before leaving, but it was not to be. I will tackle it again next week. (After all, I'll still be employed 1/3 time by my current boss.)

I wasn't really sad about it being my last day of work. I guess this is because I'm only moving over to the next building, and I'll still be working with the same people, along with some additional new people. It's a transition, but it's not a major, life-changing adjustment.

No comments: