Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Children Are a Source of Amusement

Or at least, mine is.

This is an old story but I think it is funny enough to merit a post.

Vinny is fascinated by technology. He loves computers, cellphones, iPods, remote controls, anything electronic he can get his hands on.

Well, one time he managed to get hold of my cellphone. He opened it up and somehow managed to call his godmother. Her number is in my phone's memory but it wasn't a speed dial number so quite frankly I have no idea how he managed to do that. Anyhow, by the time we noticed that he had done this, her phone was already ringing. She didn't answer for whatever reason, and it went to voicemail.

Vinny's sitting there with the phone in the proper location for talking, but he really doesn't understand how it all works. So he doesn't say anything; he just breathes into the phone.

You can see where this is going, I'm sure. When I called her later in the week, I mentioned that he had called and may have left her a strange message. She laughed and said that at first, she thought somebody had left a dirty message, but she was glad to learn it was just Vinny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-D The toddler I watch loves to play with cell phones. He's already been mimicking cell phone use for a while (his mom talks on hers a lot, I think), and they have I think 6 different toy cell phones for the two of them. Although he doesn't say many words yet, so he'll hold the phone to his ear and say "blee blah oh mama?" and then hold up to my ear for me to talk. The other day, he had gotten ahold of the real phone while I was talking to his mom, and so I took it from him and said to him "Why don't you go get one of your play cell phones instead?" but I didn't really expect him to listen to me, because he was really intent on getting the phone in my hands back. I returned to talking to his mother, and the next thing I knew, he was back with one of the toy phones! It's so cute to realize they understand so much more than they can say.
I think they're the same age about - September '06 birth?

Speaking of Vinny, I'd love to hear a post about how your sleeping situation has been going over time, now that Vinny's 1.5 yrs. I think the toddler I watch still doesn't always sleep through the night, and they finally gave up and just let him sleep in the family bed with them.