Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Exploring My Hispanic Heritage

My virtuoso violin-playing in last month's Black History Month Celebration garnered the notice of the Hispanic Heritage Month committee, so I was invited to play for the Hispanic Heritage Month celebration in October. Our company is sponsoring the October concert of the local symphony orchestra, which will have a Spanish theme, plus we get ten or fifteen minutes to showcase the musical skills of the employees of the company. I corresponded with the conductor of the symphony orchestra, and given the ensemble I have to work with (myself, another violinist, and a guitarist), I suggested to her that we perform some sort of folk music. She thought it sounded like a good idea, so I searched the internet for ideas and ended up finding a book of mariachi pieces for two violins, guitar, and bass. I ordered this wonderful tome, Mariachi Violin Transcriptions, and it just came in last night. I pored over it and selected two pieces that we can play.

The only part I'm missing is the bass, but I may know of somebody whom I can talk into doing that part. Stay tuned!

No comments: