Friday, October 03, 2008

Checking In

I really am still alive, just very busy with crazy things like WORK!  I have an interesting post planned on a movie that Jeff and I recently saw, but it takes time to work these things into final blogging form.

So instead, I'll leave you with an anecdote.  The other day, I was talking to a man who made an inappropriate joke (i.e., racist, sexist -- it doesn't matter what exactly).  I had once read, maybe at Thus Spake Zuska or somewhere else, that when you encounter an inappropriate joke, a good tactic is to feign ignorance and ask the person to explain the joke.  I thought this was a perfect opportunity to try out this tactic.

So I put a puzzled expression upon my face, and said, "Was that a joke?  I see you're laughing, but I don't get it."  

"You've got to be kidding me," he said.

"Oh no, I really don't understand what's funny.  Perhaps you could explain it to me."

He grew uncomfortable and embarrassed.  "It was an inappropriate joke that I shouldn't have made.  Never mind."

In this way, I was able to make him realize that what he said was inappropriate, without lecturing him (which would probably make him unreceptive to the message) or coming off as self-righteous.  So thank you, whoever had this idea!  It worked well in this case.

1 comment:

Twice said...

That sounds like a great tactic!