Monday, December 07, 2009

News from the Night Shift

My nephew is the cutest little thing. I had forgotten just how tiny newborns are. I was amazed and charmed by his little tiny face, his miniscule fingers and toes, and his paper-thin fingernails. I had also forgotten that distinctive newborn scent -- they really do have a unique smell about them. Every time I inhale I can take in that delicious smell.

But one thing I have not forgotten are my mad baby-wrangling skillz. I can shush and rock and put a baby to sleep like it's nobody's business. (Okay, it also helps that this one sleeps like a champ.)

I have the night shift, at least until 4, and then it's my sister's turn. I'll probably let her sleep until 6 though -- she needs it. It's just too bad that neither of us can give the nursing mom a break.

1 comment:

rachel said...

Isn't it insane how easy it is to do all the baby stuff, now? Compared with how hard it was the first time out, anyway!