Saturday, December 11, 2010

Adventures in Migraines

I can't say that I am a fan of migraines, but the last one I had actually resulted in something good.

I've been getting them with more and more frequency, probably 3 times a month over the past couple of months, which has been pretty unpleasant to say the least.  I went to the doctor, and she has scheduled me for a CAT scan to make sure I don't have a tumor or something, but otherwise I just have to collect information and try to figure out any kind of pattern to them.

On Wednesday night, I had a really, really painful one.  It is my job to put Vinny to bed every night.  Lately he has been too scared to fall asleep on his own, because developmentally he has gotten to the stage where he knows something about death and is afraid of being alone.  So I have sat there and played on Melvin (the tiniest, babiest computer) until he falls asleep -- thus the recent spate of prolific postings on this blog.  But on Wednesday, my head just hurt way too much to be able to do that.  And of course, that evening he was particularly hyper and not ready to fall asleep at bedtime.  I was getting angry and because I was so frustrated and in so much pain.  So I went downstairs to Jeff and asked him to help me.  Jeff went upstairs and lay down the law, telling Vinny that Mama was going to bed because her head hurt really badly, and that Vinny could goof off and play if he wanted to, he just had to stay in his room.  There was some crying, but Vinny did it.

The next morning, Vinny pointed out to me that he had been promised a prize for falling asleep all by himself and staying in his bed all night.  (This prize had been dangled in front of him after he returned from that week at Grandpa and Grandma's, where he had fallen asleep by himself with no problems, in an attempt to convince him to do the same thing here, but to no avail at the time.)  Upon confirming what had happened that night with Jeff, I agreed and awarded him the prize: sunglasses with blinking blue lights on the sides (one of the best pieces of swag we picked up at the conference).  Then I told him if he did it again that evening, he would get another fantastic prize.  The next morning, he was rewarded with another piece of light-up swag.  And yesterday I told him if he did it for the next two nights he would get yet another prize.  Last night was a success, and I anticipate tonight will be too.

I think he'll be falling asleep on his own for the foreseeable future, which is a great thing!  So for perhaps the first time ever, something good came out of a migraine!

No comments: