Monday, August 15, 2005

Adventures in Making a Decision

Our road trip took us as far as Kansas. We originally got the bright idea to drive to Colorado, because Jeff had never really been Out West. Unfortunately, we ran into some really big rainstorms, so we abandoned our ambitious idea in favor of a shorter drive. We made it into the middle of Kansas before turning around. We went as far as a small town called Wamego, where we saw the city historical museum (kind of rustic and fun) and a museum about the Wizard of Oz. The trip was a lot of fun and I'm glad we got a chance to just get out and go somewhere together.

But I'm sure you're actually reading this to find out about my decision. So I'll not leave you in suspense any longer: I decided to go with Oak Ridge. I called George, my future supervisor, this afternoon to let him know.

It was a hard decision to make, but ultimately I think that remaining gainfully employed is dependent upon enjoying the job. So even though Oak Ridge is offering less money, and the outside activities are less numerous, I think I will be better off there than at Los Alamos.

Parallel I/O is mildly interesting. Computational chemistry is pretty cool. I'm gonna go with the latter. Now I just need to notify my suitor from Los Alamos. I know he's going to be disappointed, but someone had to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So when do you start?