Monday, January 31, 2005

Entertainment

This weekend my advisor gave us his "old" television. "Old" in quotes, because that TV is a lot nicer and newer than anything we had before. It's also really huge, and too big to fit in our TV cabinet. So we set it on top, which isn't an optimal position for it. For a nearly six-footer such as myself, it's at about eye level when I'm standing up. On the other hand, it encourages me to have good posture while sitting on the couch. And from the couch, it's kind of like sitting towards the front of a movie theater.

This television is really deluxe, though. It has stereo sound, lots of inputs on the back (so now we can attach both our DVD player and Jeff's PS2 directly to the television), and that picture-in-a-picture feature, although I haven't figured out how to make it show any picture different from the main picture.

The first thing I watched on it was the end of the Kentucky basketball game. My team pulled off a squeaker, winning by one point, thanks to a basket missed by their opponents at the end of the game.

And I have nearly finished applying for jobs, for now. I'm about to get my advisor's secretary to overnight the final application materials for NIST, and I've finished writing the letter for the Lawrence Berkeley Alvarez fellowship; I just need to send it before tomorrow. Also on Friday I finally pried from my hands the Oak Ridge application and mailed it in.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yay, good luck on all those applications!
Laura