Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Crime and Context

What would you do if your co-worker confided in you that last night, her son had screamed in her face, scratched his sharp nails across her cheek, and kicked her in the stomach?

Well, if your co-worker was somebody like me, with an eight-month old baby, you would probably not be alarmed. If, on the other hand, her son was eighteen, you might feel a little concerned. You'd want to know more about the situation. Does her son have mental health issues? Was this attack unprecedented and unwarranted? Or did the son lash out after his mom physically attacked him first?

What a difference context makes! By itself, the act of screaming, scratching, and kicking is not a crime. (If it were, all babies would be in jail!) When it's combined with malicious intent, it's definitely a criminal act. But when it's performed under duress or under the influence of mental illness, the circumstances of the act may exonerate the perpetrator.

The idea of context is central to our legal system. That's why we have different classes of crimes for the act of killing someone. At the end of the day, the victim is still dead, but an accidental death is charged as manslaughter and carries a light sentence, while a pre-meditated execution nets the perpetrator a murder conviction and a place on death row.

In 1969, the United States Congress passed 18 USC 245 (b)(2), which made it a federal crime to target someone for their race, color, religion, or national origin, and recent pending legislation seeks to expand the existing law to cover crimes targeting someone due to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.

The problem with crimes targeting members of a particular group is that the repercussions spread widely to include anyone who is a member of that group or even looks like they could be a member of that group. If I kill my husband, it probably won't have much of an impact on society at large, because it's just a domestic dispute. It will hurt my family, and his family, and our friends and neighbors, but it won't make husbands cower in fear at the thought of going out. If, on the other hand, I set up a sniper rifle, look for men with something glinting on their left ring finger, and shoot, and people begin to make the link between these dead men and the fact that they were targeted precisely because they are husbands, then I have just changed the dynamics of the community. Men will start to remove their rings before they go out, assuming they brave the outdoors at all. And my goal of intimidation has been met.

And that's precisely why hate crimes belong in a class of their own. They cause members of a particular group of people to feel like being themselves is hazardous to their own health. In certain cases, such as being targeted for skin color, there's really nothing that they can do about it. The men in the example above might disguise their married state by hiding their rings, but I might still be able to tell that they're married by their behavior. But the thing is, even unmarried men wouldn't be safe. The only thing required for me to target a man is that I think he's married. I might mistakenly kill a man who's not married, just because he's wearing his class ring on his left ring finger, or he's wearing a metal finger brace, or he kisses his sister (whom I mistake for his wife) on the cheek before leaving for work. So my reign of terror would extend to more than just my original target group. Now it's all men who might appear to be married who are afraid to be themselves.

I used the phrase "reign of terror" on purpose, because hate crimes are really just terrorism. They're used to intimidate groups of people into behaving in a certain way. My purely hypothetical rampage against married men would cause men to start behaving in the way that I want them to. I have the power and they don't.

When my rampage against married men finally ends and I'm being tried in front of a jury of my peers, the hate crimes legislation will come into play. Assuming that it hasn't been vetoed, that is, the legislation will now cover crimes motivated by gender, and the rampage was definitely motivated by my purely hypothetical dislike of men. After all, the law covers crimes against any group, even white, Christian men targeted for being white, Christian men. There's no kind of special privilege being afforded to minorities by hate crimes legislation, unless you count "being able to walk around and be yourself without fear of danger or death" as a special privilege. In that case, then everyone is entitled to special privilege.


For more information, I recommend reading this page from religioustolerance.org; in addition, Greta Christina had a good entry about hate crimes legislation a few weeks ago, and I also liked this explanation by Pandagon.

3 comments:

Mr. Lucchese said...

The context argument ONLY applies to certain laws, though. If you steal money to help support your family, you don't get a lighter sentence than if you just want a new Ferrari. Also, in some cases "intent" is implied in the law that may have never existed in reality. For example, I know several people who have been busted for "intent to distribute" marijuana who happen just to be huge potheads practicing wholesale economics.

My point is that the "intent" argument is deceptive when the only comparison that's made is the murder law hierarchy. Those seem to work and have done so for centuries. But we run into problems when we try to criminalize thought in other circumstances.

I am very much against "hate crimes," but I've never been able to get behind passing new laws for them. If a judge/jury wants to take the conditions of the crime into account during the sentencing process, fine. But I just don't think any new legislation is required.

Rebecca said...

Well, I believe that the Hate Crimes legislation is for crimes within the murder hierarchy. It covers acts of violence against victims who are singled out due to a particular characteristic covered by the laws. So since it's applied only to crimes on that ladder, then it seems okay to me.

I think part of the idea behind federalizing hate crimes is so that the crimes will get the investigation and prosecution they deserve. In the 1960's South, for example, a lynching might not be investigated by the local police, because they tacitly approved of it. The idea is that the hate crimes legislation allows for outsiders to come in and bring the perpetrator to justice. I can see that this is necessary even today, particularly for crimes against gays, lesbians, and especially transsexuals.

Twice said...

Rebecca, I think your analysis is a good one. I think the impact of hate crimes on society in general is largely ignored. I once had a large group of young males scream horrible things at me while making physically threatening gestures. m The look on their faces was pure hatred. Why? I don't know, but I assumed (from some of what they said) that they thought I was a lesbian because of my "hate is not a family value" license plate surround. I'm sure the irony of their hatred in this situation was lost on them. Fortunately, they were in another car on a relatively open highway in central California so we were physically separated. However, their behavior was such that they almost ran me off the road. I shudder to think what may have happened then.