Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Delicious Baby Food

I spent much of the weekend making homemade baby food for Vinny. On Friday, I made some homemade teething biscuits. It was a bit of a challenge because thanks to my maternal grandfather's wheat allergy, I am trying to minimize Vinny's exposure to wheat for a while longer. So using flour was right out. Instead, I made them with the following recipe, adapted from here:

1 c. dry baby rice cereal
1 c. rolled oats, ground into meal using the coffee grinder
3 T. olive oil
ice cold juice

Whisk together rice cereal and ground oats. Add olive oil one tablespoon at a time, stirring well. Mix in juice, a little at a time, beginning with 1/4 c, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl (like when you make baking powder biscuits). (I used ~ 1/2 c in total.) Roll out dough and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in preheated 375ºF oven for 10 minutes.

They came out a little soft, actually, so they didn't work too well to begin with. But I think that they will work better now that they have hardened.

Next, I made some peaches for him from some frozen peaches we have. I just steamed them and then ground them up using a baby food grinder that we got as a shower gift. I also poached a chicken breast in plain water and ground it up too. I read on the same website that babies love peaches and chicken together. I laready knew that he liked peaches, so I mixed some chicken and some peaches together in a 2:3 ratio, and he really seemed to like it! That seemed like a good way to moisten the dry chicken.

He's now able to pick up cheerios between his fingers, and put them in his mouth, chew them up, and swallow. Sometimes he gags on them but that is becoming less frequent. And, as often as not, he'll take the cheerio in his hand and move towards his mouth but miss, and the cheerio ends up in his chair or on the floor.

I also fed him some small slices of avocado. He liked them well enough, provided they weren't too big and caused him to gag. But he couldn't pick them up off his tray, because they are too slippery.

I have to admit, making baby food and feeding it to an appreciative audience is quite fulfilling. I'm looking forward to expanding his palette as he grows!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca! I love your posts about your son. I also visited Dear Vinny and I wanted to leave a comment there, but it seems to be set on not letting visitors who aren't blogger members post comments. I read some of your posts and your husband's writing of the birth story, and I wanted to thank you guys for sharing it. I love letters to babies! :-)