Thursday, May 01, 2008

My Awesome Husband

My husband is the coolest guy in the world. Here are a few of the myriad of reasons why:
  • He is very brave. Like me, he defies gender stereotypes in his chosen vocation. It takes a lot of courage to be a stay-at-home dad and face gender discrimination every day. I admire him for doing what he wants to do despite the pressure to do otherwise.
  • He is very loving. I love to watch him play and interact with Vinny. It brings so much joy to my heart to see the way they interact! Most of what I know about parenting, I've learned from him.
  • He is a really good cook. When we first got married, he didn't know much about cooking. I taught him everything I knew, but he took that knowledge and ran with it. He has a knack for combining flavors in just the right way. Last week he made this catfish with lime and some combination of herbs and spices, and it was just superb. He didn't get the recipe from a cookbook; he just made it up! He has a blank book in which he writes all his special recipes, and I told him he definitely needs to add that one to the list.
  • He is amazingly artistic. He has more artistic talent in his big toe than most people have in their entire body. He's recently taken up drawing. Most of the time, people start with simple compositions, such as a still life. But Jeff started by drawing portraits and figures. He is getting really good. The drawings are becoming more realistic every time. I am amazed by how well and how quickly he has picked up this ability!
  • He is incredibly creative. In addition to his artistic talents, he has a knack for storytelling, which he uses for role-playing but also to develop plots for books. He has several books of fiction all planned out in his head. I keep telling him to write one down already so that we can live off all the money it will bring in! ;)
  • He is empathetic. There's nobody in this world who understands me as well as he does. He really gets everything I say. I think he's also the perfect feminist boyfriend. He sees the damage that our patriarchal society does to women and to men. There aren't too many men who really get it like that.
  • He loves me. I am continually baffled by the fact that despite my numerous character flaws, he really cares about me and wants to spend his life with me. I try not to let on about my bewilderment, but I always keep in perspective how fortunate I am to have him as my partner in this journey through life!

1 comment:

EcoGeoFemme said...

Awww, how sweet. what a catch!