Saturday, January 10, 2009

Adventures with Laundry

Last week when I was folding Vinny's fresh-from-the-dryer laundry, I noticed that a lot of his clothes had green streaks on them. I was bewildered, until I recalled that earlier, I had taken 2.5 crayons out of the washer, and the half-crayon was green.

I examined the dryer drum and noticed that it was a delightful green color. Then I asked the internets how to clean it up. The consensus was that WD40 would clean it up, but that a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or a paste of Comet cleaner would work in combination with elbow grease. I was somewhat fearful of using (combustible) oil in the dryer. Jeff tried to clean it with the Magic Eraser but it didn't come up very easily. Then he tried the Comet paste and that worked better.

As a test, we put an hold towel in the dryer to see if it would come out green. No green was detected, so we resumed using the dryer.

Now all I have to do is get the crayon marks out of his clothing. Some of them I don't really care about (undershirts and such) but there are some shirts with long green streaks on them. So I'd better do that soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This seems to be a common parenthood adventure, as you are the second blogger I read to whom it happened recently! http://wouldashoulda.com/2008/12/19/and-orange-all-over/