Friday, May 25, 2007

A Justifiable Rant

Jeff and I were really struck by one of the graphs in An Inconvenient Truth. It was the one about fuel efficiency. American cars get miserable fuel efficiency compared to cars in other parts of the world, because we have very low standards. Our fuel efficiency standards are so low that we can't even sell our cars in China, because China has higher standards than we do!

American automakers argue that we mustn't raise our standards, because they can't make cars that get such high mileage. I would buy that argument, except for the fact that American companies such as Ford already sell cars (even large cars) in Europe that get upwards of 40 mpg!

My better half posted an eloquent rant on his blog. I have nothing to add to his expert takedown except a slight clarification about the mileage. The British use the Imperial gallon, which is 20 fluid ounces composed of eight pints of 20 fluid ounces each, while we use the American gallon, which is 16 fl. oz. composed of eight pints of 16 fluid ounces each. So if we want to compare like to like, we have to take the British mileage and multiply it by 16/20, or 0.8, in order to get the mileages we are accustomed to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's a nit, but 16 ounces is a pint -- not a gallon :)

however, the point of your post about what the American auto mfgs are capable of doing vs. what they actually deliver in the U.S. market is well-made.

normally, I try to conserve energy by not spending it in outrage. in this case, I'll make an exception and join in the rage-a-bration!

Captain Fatbody said...

The definitiion of pint and gallon was mixed up, sure, but unfortunately the percentages of gallons are still the same, so it all still works. What it means is the difference is so extreme that is is downright disgusting. There is nothing that can help the US automakers in this situation. Please don't think I'm saying you are defending them -- I'm not. I'm just so angry over this entire situation that I will lash out at them and embarrass them any chance I get.

Rebecca said...

Thanks for pointing that out, Anonymous. You are of course correct, and I have made the correction. Luckily it didn't impact the point of the argument, which is that manufacturers are balking at giving us the fuel efficiency that they already provide to other markets!