Monday, May 07, 2007

Moron Monday

Normally, this is a feature over at my sister's place, but she's a big turkey... I mean, she's in Turkey so she asked her sisters to step in. For those of you who aren't actually readers of Rachel's blog, the idea is that you confess to ways in which you have been a moron recently, and we all get a big laugh comparing stories. For the complete rules, see this page.

My moronic moment (was it only a moment?) this week occurred when I spent an afternoon chasing after a bug in my program, only to discover that it was a typo. A lower-case c in the middle of a variable, where there should have been a capital C. C and c look remarkably alike; I think if it had been A and a I would have seen it almost immediately. (The rest of the paragraph is computer science jibberish; feel free to ignore it.) But instead I decided that I needed to instantiate that templated class in a .cc file, despite the fact that it was wholly defined in a header file and I knew that there was no need to instantiate a class defined solely in a header file. Then I got pissed because I kept fiddling with the instantiation and nothing helped.

What did you do?

6 comments:

Laura said...

Hey, thanks for hosting Moron Monday.

My moronic moment this week was when I got all prepared for my year-end-review -- when I meet with all my profs, simultaneously, and they tell me how I've been doing for the year and I ask them questions.

I went to the right place, waited outside the door until the right time, and then noticed that the room was locked and there was nobody inside. Only after asking a lot of people did I figure out that it was supposed to happen *next* week. I showed up at completely the wrong time. Oops!

Melanie said...

Hmmmm Moron Monday... My moment was that I was getting ready to comment that it was time for Rachel to post something about Moron Monday, half way through I remembered she's not even in the freakin' country!!!

Rebecca said...

Laura, at least you were a week early instead of a week late!

And Melanie, I almost did the same thing myself, but luckily I could just replace the original message with one declaring that I was hosting.

I guess everybody else has just been terribly clever this week. :)

Mr. Lucchese said...

I think this is an excellent idea, and I will happily tattle on myself. My moron moment happened at Pottery Barn, where I am working as a shipper/receiver until school starts. I move around boxes and merchandise all day. It's terribly mindless and it gives me a chance to ponder nerdly things like mathematics and physics.

The other day, I was lifting a bedside table to stack it on top of some other boxes. As I titled it to slide it onto the stack, I watched helplessly as the drawer slid out and struck me in the eye. Despite the pain, I had to continue lifting so as not to break the table. That was a week ago, my eye is still sore, and I deserve every second of the pain. What a moron!

Mr. Lucchese said...

Is there a meta-moron award, because I just realized that I misspelled "tilted" in my post about what a moron I was? Spell-check, why have you failed me so? Can't you read my mind?

Rebecca said...

Tony, ouch!!! I'm in pain just thinking about that.

As for the second, only if there's an award for me totally not noticing either. The problem is that what you typed is a real word too. Also, "l" and "t" look an awful lot alike when you're skimming.